Christmas tree decorations

That Old Box of Christmas Ornaments

Ah the memories that can be evoked by a simple token ornament for the tree - enjoy !

In today's post I refer to Neil Pasricha's "The Book of (Holiday) Awesome" and his reference to "pulling out that old box of Christmas ornaments from when you were a kid".

Whether it is the angel atop your tree, the "baby's first Christmas" ornament, the family pet, Mickey Mouse lights, your miniature Christmas Village, your favourite Nutcracker, a favourite ornament from a family member, the neighbour's ornament from year's gone by - memories adorn our Christmas trees each year.

That box of ornaments you pull out each year is a wonderful reflection of memories over the years that bring joy to the ritual of tree decorating.

As the scouts, markets and churches fill their parking lots and locations with the annual harvest of Christmas trees, may your own preparations to pull your box of decorations bring you much joy and awesomeness this holiday season.

@fergdevins

Christmas Tree

The Smell of a Fresh Christmas Tree

A post from 2017 - we had just brought the tree in...a special time of the season for sure

Growing up in a small town dad would often take us as kids out to some remote gravel road, over high snow banks, blazing a trail into the woods to chop down our annual Christmas tree. There was nothing like working our way back out of the woods to the car, tying the tree to the roof and heading home for hot chocolate. Smiles, in the later years it was a nice glass of home made egg nog with spices and rum.

Ah the Aroma

Once at home there would be that awesome smell of the fresh cut tree, after we placed it in the stand.

In Neil Pasricha's "The Book of (Holiday) Awesome", he points to the smell of a fresh Christmas tree as one of those awesome moments of the holiday season. He talks about not having a "real tree" but having a "fake one". However, he does speak about visiting neighbours who did have the freshly sawed tree in their living room.

Tree in Place

My son and I brought our tree in this afternoon. Naturally (sorry for the pun), it needs to fall out and prepare itself for our annual decorating ritual. I just walked past the tree to take this photo and oh yes, the smell of the Christmas tree is certainly prominent on the main floor of our home.

Find A Tree - Cut or Cut Yourself

Here's to the boy scouts, churches, markets, greengrocers, grocery stores and corner stores who continue to bring the fresh Christmas trees to our city neighbourhoods for enjoyment. Of course, there are also the many tree farms surrounding Toronto where families can continue the traditional rituals of  "cutting down your own tree" if desired.

Enjoy that fresh smell in your home, one of those early aromas of the season.

@FergDevins

Devins Network blogs Crane with Christmas Lights

Construction Cranes with Christmas Lights

A special glow on city streets as the setting sun retires each day during the holiday season...so many cranes in Toronto...wonderful to see how some of those with the spirit of the season at heart have lit up the horizon with lights on their cranes - well done!

The title of this post says it all. What a joyful sight it is to see construction cranes in cities and towns with Christmas lights strung across the structures. Someone must have to take credit for starting this idea, and it is so wonderful to see that so many construction companies have adopted this celebration of the season.

Like Neil Pasricha mentions in his "The Book of (Holiday) Awesome", "they're not selling anything. Nope, Christmas lights on construction sites just smile down on the city and cover us all in a warm and festive light"

Thanks to those who have taken the time, the expense and the risk of adorning cranes with these special Christmas and holiday treats on our cityscapes and town horizons. You certainly help put a punch of awesome into our happiness this season.

And...given that it is American Thanksgiving November 23rd, I am now permitted (thanks, Kath) to turn on the light lights and hang out the outdoor decorations. Bring on the season. Let's keep it awesome.

@fergdevins

couple walking

When Strangers Wish you Happy Holidays

This season perhaps opens up a few more casual gestures of good will in our streets, towns, villages and cities. When passers by greet each other with a season's greetings. A small gesture this time of year, or any time of year brings positiveness into our midst. Ho Ho Ho - Hello !

On a walk with neighbours, the other day, we were remarking about how fascinating it is to pass people on the street and see the percentage that returns "Hello" along the way. Our finding is (in Toronto) that it is less than 50% that respond back to hello, good morning, hello there, good afternoon, hi. Sad, isn't it !? The next time you are out for a walk, in the park, with the dog, in the neighbourhood - do your own little audit and let me know.

However, this post is to continue my string of posts related to "The Book of (Holiday) Awesome" by Neil Pasricha. Neil's "page 14" reference to awesome relates to "When Strangers wish you happy holidays".

So, picking up on my intro, how awesome is it when someone actually initiates the greeting. Given what I stated in the opening paragraph, I am delighted. It is so nice to have another person just make that eye to eye, voice to voice, and make a connection with me. OK, I'll give those that wish to put their head down and walk without interacting your time of day. I respect that but wouldn't meditation along be better than just ignoring all of humankind that you pass by?

Perhaps this little post might make each of us a little more aware of the opportunity to greet our fellow community members with a "Happy Holidays", or "Merry Christmas" or "Good Morning", just because there is nothing wrong with all of us spreading a little goodwill in our day.

Wishing all the strangers reading this post "happy holidays".

@fergdevins

Cookies, Chocolates and Candies Everywhere

With mom and dad planning to head to Arizona soon with the "snowbirds", we are thankful for the special rationing of Christmas fruit cake and that special blend of nuts and bolts that is just simply incomparable. What's your favorite treat of the season?

Today's post through a thought generated by Neil Pasricha's "Book of (Holiday) Awesome" reminds us of the careful attention we need to pay to the next month and our diets.

The holiday season just seems to bring a lot of extra "eats" into play. Cookies, Chocolates, nuts and bolts (thanks mom), candy canes, Swiss Chalet Festive Special, shortbread, rum balls, Christmas fruit cake, Christmas pudding all seem to make their way to our dining room or coffee tables.

We can resist, oh yes we can. We can also enjoy a small indulgence here or there (or not). Although it might seem somewhat artificial in sweetening up the season. It can be truly awesome.

Watch that sugar intake. Happy Holidays !

@fergdevins

Baby in the mall

Crying Kids in the Mall - Not Yours ! Amen...

Gotta feel for those "new parents" or the parents with "that kid" that starts to holler, whine, complain, moan, scream...just as they are headed towards Santa and Mrs. Claus at the local mall. Not to worry mom and dad, for those of us who have had kids...we've been there done that. Somehow Santa usually, most times, gets that child back under control once they approach the big lad in the red suit. Enjoy the mall and more importantly enjoy those kids - no matter what the mood beholds.

The next post of Holiday Awesome that I am drawing from Neil Pasricha's "Book of (Holiday) Awesome is all about the crying kids in the mall. Of course, the awesomeness that he points to is that the kid is not yours.

Calling on all parents. Don't feel bad about the child crying in the mall. Those of us that are parents can quickly tell you that we've been there and done that. Don't be embarrassed, don't rush off with the child, don't hide in the washroom until soothers are in place. Just let your child wail away until consoled and carry on with your Christmas or Holiday shopping.

The fact is you are probably bringing joy to many of us that have fond memories of our own children at that age. I do recall so many seniors that would have commented: "I remember those years of joy". I know, I know, that moment of wailing in the mall is not a current moment of joy for the current parent. However, the point I'm making is that those around you are likely not as fussed or embarrassed as you being the parent. We all sympathize and have a little smile inside to share with you.

And Santa's lap...always good for a loud wail now and again...smiles.

@FergDevins

Santa

Santa Claus is Coming to Town

At the jolly big soul with the red suit, white beer and "ho ho ho" arrived in many communities this past weekend. Certainly Santa Claus brings joy, smiles and great memories of Christmas's past to family and friends. Safe travels Mr. Claus.

Continuing along my daily blog posts inspired by Neil Pasricha's "The Book of (Holiday) Awesome", I am actually going to post a personal memory today. It relates to Santa Claus Coming to Town.

I have heard of numerous Santa Claus parades and tree lightings taking place over this past weekend. I know that my hometown of Kenora had their annual tree lighting at Main and Second Street  last week. My parents advised that in their new community of Bowmanville, the Santa Claus Parade was scheduled for Saturday afternoon. Right here at home in Toronto, the "world famous" Santa Claus Parade meandered its way through downtown City streets to the delight of more than a half million people strung along the route and with a new route this year too !

The Santa Claus parade is a remarkable tradition. I'm not quite sure how the jolly old man in the red suit can make it back and forth to all of these communities, and keep an eye on his workshop at the North Pole. However, that is all part of the magic of the Christmas season.

I've met Santa in Toronto on several occasions. One of the most memorable was when Santa was attending a Variety Village event. He asked me if we would be attending the parade. I advised that we would be attending and that we would be above the old Shopsey's store at the turn from Yonge Street to Front Street. Santa asked me the names of my children. He advised that if Kathy and I and our children were at the end of the terrace closest to Yonge and Front that he would shout out a greeting to our family. Well...you can just imagine. As the parade was winding down, there was great anticipation for the arrival of the final float. Kath and I quickly gathered up Helena and Clark and took our position nearest Yonge and Front Street. As Santa's float made the turn he was greeting all the mom's and dad's and then said "and a big hello to Helena and Clark...Merry Christmas!". The look on the faces of Helena and Clark with just one of those truly magical moments of Christmas.  They were simply awestruck in the moment.

We have had many awesome moments through all those years of attending the Toronto Santa Claus parade. That year took the prize for all time great in the book of awesome. Thanks to the Toronto committee that has kept this fine tradition alive all these years.

Santa. Wherever you are this fine Friday eve. Wishing you safe travels and well wishes for a great holiday season. Ho Ho Ho !

@fergdevins

lest we forget

Lest We Forget

Each year in November as we inch towards the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of the year; it is wonderful to see the outpouring of gratitude and respect that is given in memory of those who have fought and fallen for our country.

Our veterans from world wars and conflicts where our armed forces have been active have given greatly for Canada. Those who have not returned have made the ultimate sacrifice. Those who have returned have also given greatly, and in many situations face difficulties through injury and resultant ability challenges. Some may also be faced with mental health issues resulting from their service.

November 11th is but one day that marks a time for us to pause, pay respect and be thankful for who we are and what we have in Canada - because of them.

Thanks for wearing your poppy. Thanks for making a donation to assist the families of our fallen.

Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto is home to a major Veterans' hospital. If you help by "raising a flag" you can make a donation in support of our Veterans and the wonderful work that Sunnybrook does.

We have so much to be thankful for. Much of what we have to be thankful for is a result of those who stood for our freedom and democracy and all that we value in Canada as a nation.

Lest We Forget.

IMG_8723

finding an answer

Determining Your Social Network

Determining Your Social Network

Have you discovered and designed your social network? What...you ask? Given the ease of apps and platforms today, so user-friendly, it is not an arduous task to undertaking in determining your social network.

Search so Easy

Day in day out folks are in search of finding an answer online. Google is obviously the most top of mind search engine people are utilizing from their desktop, laptop or mobile device. I'm also amazed at the number of people that talk about what they have learned from searching and watching on YouTube. Whether it is designing a kayak, quilting, engine repairs, carpentry or a new piece of music on a musical instrument...whatever you want to learn is likely video available on YouTube.

On "tools" in social networks, I have found that there are also unlimited resources for finding an answer. I would also suggest that "the answer" is likely not as singular as it may have been in previous decades. The world wide web has provided us with such a vast and magnificent resource for choices in finding an answer.

Some Networks to check out

Take for instance "networking". For me, and likely you, top of mind are platforms like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIN, Instagram,  about.me. However, if you are looking at finding an answer on social networking you will find a much longer list. Depending on language, location, interest or demographic - finding an answer on "what" social networks can be answered by a very long list. Jann has updated a list recently that captures a lot of the options available - up to 70 to be exact -  Check this out. A much broader list can be found through the Wikipedia list of social networking sites... wow!

So in finding an answer related to "what social network should YOU belong to?", it might be worth scanning the Wikipedia list and assessing where your interests lay. What communities do you want to connect with, what language are you speaking, what purpose do you have for seeking this network, is this a specific hobby?  I would suggest that whatever interest or opinion you seek, you will be certain to search and realize that finding an answer is pretty easy to accomplish.

Not just one answer - Find what's right for you

So...perhaps you've got a few new avenues to pursue in "finding an answer". My closing thought is that there is not just one answer. You will see that there are multiple, if not hundreds, answers. In finding an answer it is really important for you to determine "what and why" for you or your business. For instance, if you are looking at searching former classmates, the classmates' platform was built for just that purpose. However, by name you could also tackle searching through Facebook. The answer for you is what is most comfortable, the platform with the most ease for you to use, and the platform that delivers most against the purpose you intend in finding an answer.

Network while seeking your answer

I hope you have as much fun with finding an answer as I do. The next step is to assess reviews of those solutions. People offer opinions through comments and blogs. One answer in broadening your social networking is to engage with people on those blogs, thank them for their insights and leave a comment. They will appreciate it.  What is your favourite networking platform or place to find an answer?

Cheers.

@FergDevins

Tips to Help Solopreneurs Get the Most From Their Time

This article was written by Rae Steinbach.  Rae is a graduate of Tufts University with a combined International Relations and Chinese degree. After spending time living and working abroad in China, she returned to NYC to pursue her career and continue curating quality content. Rae is passionate about travel, food, and writing, of course.

The Solopreneur

Being a solopreneur comes with a ton of responsibility. You don’t have any support staff to help with things like sales, marketing, or product development – it’s all on you. That means that you have to be able to fit the jobs of many people into the time of one person. If you are going to do this successfully, you need to know how to make the most of your time.

Here are a few of the best time management tips for solopreneurs who are looking to be as efficient as possible each day.

Find a Workspace

Many solopreneurs work in a variety of locations. You might do some work at home, some at an office and you might even do a little work in a coffee shop. While there is no problem with having a variety of working environments, you should have at least one place that is just dedicated to getting work done.

Designing a home office might be enough for some, while for others, joining a coworking space (like this opportunity in Cincinnati, Ohio) might be the right answer. The right workspace might be different for different people, but the key is to find a space that you primarily recognize as a place for productivity. In Toronto, Justin Raymond has created "FlexDay" as a unique model for finding a flexible workspace.

Make a Daily Schedule

Once you’ve found an ideal workspace, the first step in any time management strategy should be to set a schedule for each day. If you are not organized in your tasks and have no plan for getting them done, you don’t have much of a chance of getting the most from every day. Whether you are creating a daily to-do list on paper or using a time management app on your phone, you need to sit down and plan out every day. This will not only help you to organize your days betterr but, it will also help to relieve some of the stress that comes with running a business on your own.

Set Priorities

Chances are that you do not need to get everything done in one day and that there are some tasks that are more urgent than others. If you are going to successfully manage your schedule, you need to be able to identify the most urgent or important tasks and prioritize accordingly.

When new tasks come up, assign them a priority level. Consider whether it needs to be fit into that day’s to-do list or if it can be scheduled for another day. You should also set yourself reminders for tasks that you know you have coming up later in the week or month.

Take Breaks

A break might seem like lost productivity, but they help you to avoid burnout. A few minutes away from your work can help you to refresh your mind and restore your energy. When you get back to work, you will feel better and be more productive. You might not be getting any work done for a few minutes, but the benefits of taking a break far outweigh the short amount of time out of your schedule.

Follow Your Motivation

As a solopreneur, there will be plenty of times that you are going to have to work when you don’t feel motivated. However, one of the best parts of being your own boss is that you don’t have to limit yourself to regular office hours. If inspiration strikes or you feel a sudden surge of motivation, you can act on it at any time.

When you are feeling high motivation, you should take advantage of it. These are the times when you are going to be at your most productive. Furthermore, taking advantage of these moments will help you to relieve your schedule moving forward, and that will make it easier to manage your time.

You didn’t start out as an entrepreneur thinking it was going to be easy, but that does not mean that it has to be hard. With a little effort put into time management, you will be able to get more from your days, and you won’t have to push yourself to your absolute limit.

Thanks for the useful tips Rae...cheers to the frontier of solopreneurship. @FergDevins